Wednesday, May 23, 2012

73 inspirational Bible verses about fathers

73 inspirational Bible verses about fathers


Today I want to share with you a lot of Bible verses about fathers. I would recommend you to read the extracts  in context as most episodes do not have some special instructions  or wishes for fathers. You will also notice that the closer we get to the New Testament the more profound revelation of who God is to us becomes. And the New Testament abounds in this particular relationship of God the Father with us his children. Thanks to Jesus who revealed this quality of God to us and made it a reality on the cross. You will also find some verses regarding human – father/son relationships. God bless you. 

1. Genesis 17:4
“As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.“

2. Genesis 31:29
„I have the power to harm you; but last night the God of your father said to me, ‘Be careful not to say anything to Jacob, either good or bad.“

3. Genesis 49:26
„Your father’s blessings are greater than the blessings of the ancient mountains, than the bounty of the age-old hills. Let all these rest on the head of Joseph, on the brow of the prince among his brothers.“

4. Genesis 50:17
„This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.’ Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father.” When their message came to him, Joseph wept.“

5. Exodus 3:6
„Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.“

6. Exodus 15:2
“The LORD is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.“

7. Exodus 20:12
“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.“

8. Leviticus 19:3
“‘Each of you must respect your mother and father, and you must observe my Sabbaths. I am the LORD your God.“

9. Numbers 27:4
„Why should our father’s name disappear from his clan because he had no son? Give us property among our father’s relatives.”

10. Deuteronomy 1:31
„ There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”

11. Deuteronomy 9:5
„It is not because of your righteousness or your integrity that you are going in to take possession of their land; but on account of the wickedness of these nations, the LORD your God will drive them out before you, to accomplish what he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.“

12. Deuteronomy 10:18
„He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.“

13. Deuteronomy 27:16
“Cursed is anyone who dishonors their father or mother.” Then all the people shall say, “Amen!”

14. Deuteronomy 32:6
„Is this the way you repay the LORD, you foolish and unwise people? Is he not your Father, your Creator, who made you and formed you?“

15. Deuteronomy 32:7
„Remember the days of old; consider the generations long past. Ask your father and he will tell you, your elders, and they will explain to you.“

16. Judges 6:25
„That same night the LORD said to him, “Take the second bull from your father’s herd, the one seven years old. Tear down your father’s altar to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it.“

17. Ruth 2:11
„Boaz replied, “I’ve been told all about what you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband—how you left your father and mother and your homeland and came to live with a people you did not know before.“

18. 1 Samuel 2:25
„If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the LORD, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the LORD’s will to put them to death.“

19. 1 Samuel 10:2
„When you leave me today, you will meet two men near Rachel’s tomb, at Zelzah on the border of Benjamin. They will say to you, ‘The donkeys you set out to look for have been found. And now your father has stopped thinking about them and is worried about you. He is asking, “What shall I do about my son?”’

20. 1 Samuel 14:29
„Jonathan said, “My father has made trouble for the country. See how my eyes brightened when I tasted a little of this honey.“

21. 1 Kings 2:26
„To Abiathar the priest the king said, “Go back to your fields in Anathoth. You deserve to die, but I will not put you to death now, because you carried the ark of the Sovereign LORD before my father David and shared all my father’s hardships.”

22. 1 Kings 11:4
„As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.“

23. 2 Kings 3:13
„Elisha said to the king of Israel, “Why do you want to involve me? Go to the prophets of your father and the prophets of your mother.” “No,” the king of Israel answered, “because it was the LORD who called us three kings together to deliver us into the hands of Moab.”

24. 1 Chronicles 19:2
„David thought, “I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me.” So David sent a delegation to express his sympathy to Hanun concerning his father.“

25. 1 Chronicles 22:10
„He is the one who will build a house for my Name. He will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.“

26. Psalm 2:7
„I will proclaim the LORD’s decree: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have become your father.“

27. Psalm 68:5
„A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.“

28. Psalm 103:13
„As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him...“

29. Proverbs 3:12
„...because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.“

30. Proverbs 6:20
„My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.“

31. Proverbs 19:13
„A foolish child is a father’s ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like the constant dripping of a leaky roof.“

32. Proverbs 23:22
„Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.“

33. Proverbs 23:24
„The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.“

34. Proverbs 28:7
„A discerning son heeds instruction, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.“

35. Proverbs 29:3
„A man who loves wisdom brings joy to his father, but a companion of prostitutes squanders his wealth.“

36. Isaiah 9:6
„For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.“

37. Isaiah 49:23
„Kings will be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. They will bow down before you with their faces to the ground; they will lick the dust at your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who hope in me will not be disappointed.”

38. Isaiah 63:16
„But you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us or Israel acknowledge us; you, LORD, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.“

39. Isaiah 64:8
„Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.“

40. Jeremiah 2:27
„They say to wood, ‘You are my father,’ and to stone, ‘You gave me birth.’ They have turned their backs to me and not their faces; yet when they are in trouble, they say, ‘Come and save us!“

41. Jeremiah 3:19
“I myself said, “‘How gladly would I treat you like my children and give you a pleasant land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.’ I thought you would call me ‘Father’ and not turn away from following me.“

42. Ezekiel 18:19
“Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live.“

43. Malachi 2:10
„Do we not all have one Father ? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?“

44. Malachi 3:17
“On the day when I act,” says the LORD Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him.“

45. Matthew 5:16
„In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.“

46. Matthew 5:48
„Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.“

47. Matthew 6:6
„But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.“

48. Matthew 7:11
„If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!“

49. Matthew 10:37
“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.“

50. Matthew 11:27
“All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.“

51. Matthew 15:13
„He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots.“

52. Matthew 19:29
„And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.“

53. John 1:14
„The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.“

54. John 2:16
„To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!”

55. John 5:20
„For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed.“

57. John 5:21
„For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.“

58. John 5:22
„Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son...“

59. John 5:26
„For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.“

60. John 6:32
„Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.“

61. John 6:40
„For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

62. John 6:44
“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.“

63. John 8:44
„You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.“

64. John 10:37
„Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father.“

65. John 14:2
„My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?“

66. John 14:10
„Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.“

67. Romans 4:11
„And he received circumcision as a sign, a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. So then, he is the father of all who believe but have not been circumcised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them.“

68. Romans 4:12
„And he is then also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also follow in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.“

69. Romans 8:15
„The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”

70. Colossians 3:21
Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.“

71. Hebrews 12:7
„Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?“

72. James 1:17
„Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.“

73. 1 John 2:13
„I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one.“


No comments:

Post a Comment